Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mothers and Daughters

This is Lydia. Her mom sent me this picture wearing one of Rubi J's organic custom screenprinted t-shirts. Dana was kind of upset with her little girl for not being so enthusiastic about the "photo shoot". I loved it; for several reasons. Lydia is adorable no matter her mood; and it reminded me how quick our little ones become their own person. It doesn't take long before we mothers lose total control.
Remember what much fun it was to dress our little girls? Just like playtime when we were little girls ourselves.  O.K. When you were little girls. I was raised with all boys. I was unaware I was even a girl until 10 or 11; but, I heard you talk on the playground about the fun of dressing up your dolls.

Mothers seem to have visions about how their little girls should look. All usually goes well until "Princess" finds her own voice. And then; apparently, her voice is the only one that matters.

I've seen it over and over again. The athletic mother with a daughter insisting on ruffles and lace only. The beauty queen that can't get her girl out of blue jeans. Oh, the humanity!!!

My advice to all you young mothers out there. Get your licks in while you can. I know my friend, Kandi, has the right idea. She's having a great time with her girls before they "beg to differ". She wanted a little "bling" for her daughter, Avery.

Now was the time.


No comments: