Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thank you for your service.

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. My husband is a veteran. Today we went to our granddaughter's Veterans Day salute at her school presented by her class. For the rest of the day, I had a lump in my throat.

We go to all our grandchildren's school functions. Love them all; but today was different.

These eight-graders presented their thanks to our veterans in such a heartwarming and inspiring way; I'm still in awe.

There were poems, essays and many others reminders of the sacrifices of what was given in the name and meaning of patriotism.

I had to keep holding back the tears, in fear of embarrassing our granddaughter in front of her friends.

Then, at the reception that followed, I learned I was not alone. We were all feeling the same emotion.

Scientists tell us the heart does not feel; it's the brain that controls out emotions. The feeling I had today, did not come from my head; it came from within my heart. I could feel it.

God bless our veterans and God bless America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, and well done by your granddaughter's school. :)

Stef Kramer said...

I was uplifting to see young Americans with a sense of patriotism - and heartwarming to watch a common thread that brings all ages together - our great country.