Sunday, November 14, 2010

The music in my head.

Dear Dr. Freud,

I know you're the one to go to for unlocking suppressed thoughts in the brain. I don't want to find out the meanings of my dreams. I'm too entertained by them. I'm desperate to discover why I keep having strange music coming in my head.

Some reasons are obvious. After seeing West Side Story a few weeks ago, I drove myself nuts with "Tonight, Tonight". (I should note I don't sing out loud. In my mind I sound just like the artist.) I finally had to put in my tape of "Les Miserables" to block it out. Funny, with all that powerful and beautiful music, the one that kept running through was "Keeper of House".

This happens to all of us. My husband changed his cell phone ring to a train chugging and whistle blowing. After a week, he changed it back. All he could think of was that old T.V. sit com "Petticoat Junction". He caught himself singing at work "there's Uncle Joe, he's moving kinda slow".

Back to my problem. Why songs that I don't especially like? For instance, last holiday season, with all the beautiful carols filling the air, the only one in my mind playing OVER AND OVER again was Elvis' "Blue Christmas"; complete with backup singers.

Today was weird. I was at the computer with "Sweet Child of Mine" serenading my mind along with Slash's guitar; when, out of the blue, Dean Martin steps in with "That's Amore". It's been in my mind ever since; ("When the moon hits your eye like-a big pizza pie, that's amore"). What the? I don't mind old Dino, but a favorite? No. ("Bells'll ring, Ting-aling-aling; Hearts will play, Tippi, tippi, tay") Where did these lyrics come from? What hidden secret am I suppressing, Dr. Freud.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I do seem to function okay. I just need to get this song out my head. Maybe there's an old tape of Barney lying about.

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

Oh wow. Funny blog. Maybe because it just hits a little too close to home. But thanks for just adding whole new slew of ear worms for me to sing now. When the moon hits the sky...