Monday, October 5, 2009

Another "Animal Tail"



I've been reading about dermochelys coriacea. That's right, dermochelys coriacea. I'm talking about the Leatherback Sea Turtle, and, of course, I didn't know it either. I can't even pronounce it.

I've been on a personal mission to learn more about the endangered species on our "Animal Tails" t-shirts. It has been equally enlivening and heartbreaking.

According to the National Geographic, the leatherbacks are the only remaining representatives of turtles that traces back more than 100 million years. So how can it be possible, after all this time, they are now designated as endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act? Here's their story from the hang tag attached to each tee:

"I am the largest reptile in the world. I'm about 2m (7ft) long and weigh almost 2000lbs. I have huge flippers which propel me around the world. My favourite place though is the Caribbean, that's where I nest. I always return to the same beach to bury my eggs in the sand. The problem is each time I go back there are more and more humans. The amount of times my eggs have got squashed by some kid playing volley ball or parking their deck chair on top of them! But my family have nested there for centuries so I don't see why I should move.

My favourite food is jellyfish, but I mistake plastic bags in the sea for them and that is the main reason for us being endangered. If I eat one it will know kill  me. Please ensure that none of your plastic ends up floating in the sea, it will be the death of me."

So, we are the problem. There is an organization dedicated to saving the leatherback turtle. Larry McKenna's book Almost Gone details their plight. To learn more, go to http://www.saveourleatherbacks.org/.


We can become part of the solution.

That's my grandneice,Julianna, at the zoo.

No comments: