Friday, May 8, 2009

CHANGES


Change. What an amazing word.

Used as a noun, its meaning can be transformation, alteration, substitution, variety or even coins of low denomination

Used as a verb, it could mean to transform, transfer one for another, remove and replace or to pass from one phase to another.

Google the definition of "change" and the list is endless.

Now, use "Change" in a word association exercise and the responses go from "Panic" and "Terror" to "Exhilarating" and "Progress". How could one word have so much power? Why do some fear change while others embrace and thrive with it?
I believe change is good. If we, as a society, never changed; we would not have become a society at all. If no one took a chance; what chance would we have to survive?
I personally enjoy change; especially small ones. They motivate me. I can get tired of cleaning the house until I change the decor or move furniture in one of the rooms. It's a whole new ballgame. I like bigger changes, too. I've always loved a challenge. Not to say I am fearless. Some changes are scary. I can always tell when I'm scared of change. I procrastinate. It's an ugly truth I alone must bear. I have told myself over and over again, I work better under pressure of a deadline; but when I'm fearful, I change the deadline.
What has help me is to answer the question: "What is the worse that could happen?"
Answer: "I'll know what doesn't work and try something else."

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

I love the new look! Great post -- everyone has a different tolerance for change, don't they? Personally, I'm exhilarated by change. But the one change that I fear? Our kids growing up too fast!