Thursday, October 20, 2011

Changing of seasons.

As some of you might already know, I love flower gardening. It ranks right below reading. In the spring, I'm possessed; cleaning out the beds, getting my hands dirtied and running to all the garden centers to grab my bounty.

Then, all summer long, I go to my havens. I love weeding, feeding and watering. You gardeners know the feelings. You love the nuturing, the satisfaction of the beauty you created; and the peace.

Then, around September, my motherly instinct turns to something else. My "children" are getting on my nerves - always wanting water, needing more Miracle Grow, begging to be weeded. Plus, they're just not so cute anymore.

So, two nights ago, we had our first major freeze. I knew what I should have done; but that involved blankets and making space in the garage. I pretended to be too busy. I decided to let Nature do my dirty work. Here's a little of the carnage:

First: The Gerber Daisies.

Then comes the Mexican Heather:


Then there is my herb garden:


And that's just on my deck.

(Burial services will be this weekend.)

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

Lol. I'm right with you.