Sunday, October 10, 2010

Let the wild horses roam!

I research all the wild life featured on our beautiful "Animal Tails" organic baby and children clothes.

This week: the Przewalski's Horse.

What I know: It's endangered. Not a lot of brain power; all the Animal Tails wildlife are endangered. That's our mission; to spread the word using the world of fashion and safe clothing for our children.

What I didn't know: Everything else.

First, how to pronouce Przewalski. (He's the Russian explorer who discovered them.) There's three acceptable ways: "psheh-VAL-skee", "per-zhuh-VAL-skee" or "PREZ-val-skee". Guess what? I still don't know how to pronounce it. Phonics was never my subject.

Let's move on.

This is the last remaining species of wild horses on the earth. They were extinct in the wild until a few years ago when a world wide program started to enter them back into the wild in the Mongolian steppes. Here's where I was wrong again, thinking the Mustangs in the Southwest are still roaming and wild. Mustangs are actually feral horses, tamed becoming wild. The Przewalski's horse has never been tamed - ever.

That leads to the third wrong assumption I had; that these were the horses Genghis Khan rode in the 13th century. That's went I discovered Genghis Khan rode the "true" Appaloosa horse; which I, of course, thought orginated from the Americas. I'm now starting to weary of my inaccuraties. (I have always prided myself as a know-it-all.)

But, enough about me and my shortcomings, the important thing is these beautiful animals have always been wild and should be given their birth right. There are about 1,500 in captivity and a world wide foundation for breeding to keep the species pure is working to release more and more back to their home where they are meant to be; free.

As many of us know, there are special bonds between a girl and her horse. It's one of the reasons the Przewalski's Horse is on the girl's romper and t-shirt in the Animal Tails collection. The romper and girl's t-shirt are currently 40% off at http://www.rubij.com/. A perfect baby or Chirstmas gift.

No comments: