Friday, November 13, 2009

Organic Living

One of the meanings of  organic is "denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole". So when I say organic or organic living, I think living harmoniously with the earth. That may not be academically correct, but it's the way I think; enriching yourself without harming the world. 

That being said; let me tell you about some of my favorite things on my iPod. (You didn't think that was where I was going, did you?)

I love, love, love music. I love, love, love my iPod. But here's the strange thing. When I'm walking the dogs with my iPod; I don't listen to music. I turn on to my free podcasts.

When you access your iTunes, please look at the podcasts. They are awesome. I'm a NPR junkie, so that's most of the  podcasts I download. My two favorites by far are "Wait, wait, don't tell me!" and "Selected Shorts".

"Wait,  wait, don't tell me" is a current events quiz show. I know. Sounds boring, doesn't it? Trust me. If you like wit and social comment, you'll love this show.

"Selected Shorts" is a program dedicated to the celebration of the short story. Two or three short stories are read by actors to a live audience. It is soooo entertaining. I especiality love the ones read by John Lithgow (you know him from "Third Rock from the Sun"). My all time favorite of his is "Indian Country".

Anything you are interested in, you will find a podcast.  Some of my other favorites are "This American Life", "The Pet Hour by Iams" (of course) and the Terri Gross interviews on "Fresh Aire".

Expand your horizans, think outside of the box, think "organically".  Maybe you'll find something to fit "harmoniously" with your life.

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

And best of all, the podcasts are free!