Sunday, January 24, 2010

A very Personal and Sad Story.

O.K. This story might not be that sad to you, but it's breaking my heart.

My tale starts out terrific. Ron and I will be observing our 45th year of marriage this fall and for Christmas our gift to our daughter and her family was to join us in Hawaii to celebrate this February (the darkest part of Iowa's winter).  Sounds great, doesn't it? And it has been. I've been ordering new clothes for Ron and me. Perfect; everything was on sale this past fall.

Then; disaster struck.  I would need a bathing suit. Oh Oh.

No problem, says daughter Stef. "The new ones pull you all in." Here's a little info for you; they pull in "young" skin; they push "old" skin out and over. Not going to work. Back to the internet. The only suits I found acceptable were only available in 3X's. I'm a 8. Eight with some problems.  Stef said it can't be that bad; but she didn't see what I saw.

Here's the problem;  about 10 ten years ago Ron and I were in Tel Aviv, on the mederterrian. It was one of the most exquisite places we have ever been. Yet; my most vivid memory was the old people on the beach, in their speedos and bikinis. I'm not talking about "old" people like "I can't believe you have grandchildren". I'm talking about "I left my teeth by my walker" old. I couldn't take my eyes off of them. That's the story I related most when I returned home; even demonstrating their shuffle across the sand. 

Stef convinced me to try one of her old suits; which I did. My dog couldn't even look at me. I felt as if I should apologize; just didn't know to whom.

Anyway, that's the end of my "sad" story. I'll be wearing one of Stef's hand me downs. I'm now back on the web, looking for an awesome coverup to transport me from my hotel room to the beach. I do not want to become a "tourist attraction".

2 comments:

Stef Kramer said...

LOL. Mom, I'm sure you still look good in a suit...

stu said...

you still have your great sense of humor. Have fun in Hawaii. love stu and char-great website-just discovered it