Friday, January 1, 2010

Seamese Crocodile and more.


Our "Special of the Day" .  The boys' favorite. 30% off at http://www.rubij.com/.

"There I was peacefully lumbering across my local river bank in Thailand, when I bump into a bunch of crazed scientists with a camera, behaving like I was some Hollywod star at the Oscars. Turns out it was the Wildlife Conservation Society looking for tigers, when I stepped into the frame.
Apparently they thought I was completely extinct in Thailand. I have a few relatives that live in the wild in Cambodia but apart from that we are farmed to make hand bags. Imagine living your life in captivity and finishing up as a hand bag.
I might look fierge on this this shirt but in fact I'm a big softy and only eat fish, and will only attack you if you attack me."

That's the hang tag on the Seamese Crocodile Organic T-Shirt. In 1992 this fresh water crocodile was thought to be extinct in the wild. Now, through conservation groups, they have a new beginning.

Although, not the cutest, cuddling creature; they are important to the region ecosystem; they have a chance. There are good, good people working to save them. 

When I was researching the Seamese Crocodile, I made a remarkable discovery. A discovery that may have changed my life.

I discovered the Fauna and Flora International organization. I can't believe I have never heard of them before now.  Wow!!! Let me inform you.

Fauna & Flora International is the oldest international conservation organization in the world. Founded in 1903 (that's right, 1903), it has one of most remarkable contributions to saving the natural world I have ever researched.  They don't just throw dollars at the situations, they solve. 

They work with underdeveloped countries to partner communities in showing ways of making conservation economically viable.  They demostrate how to become part of the solution and strive.

It has reinforced my belief that there are much more good  people on this earth than bad or misinformed. 

Do yourself a favor and go to http://www.fauna-flora.org/.

No comments: