Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Nothing to do on Thankgiving but to give thanks

Okay. It's a few days from Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. Everyone is thinking about Christmas shopping. I'm usually thinking about the Thanksgiviving meal I will prepare and serve to my loved ones. I've had the menu made out weeks ago and the shopping all done. But not this year. Husband Ron told me to take a break for once.

It's daughter Stef's turn to host the Kramer side of her family for Thanksgiving day and mother-in-law Shirley invited us out for that day. I was planning on having Thanksgiving on the following Sunday but Ron said I don't have to work every holiday, one meal is enough. At the time I agreed. Why should I work every holiday.

Now that is a few days away, I realize it doesn't seem like a holiday. I miss it. I miss getting up early and sweating over the stove and counter all morning to serve my family. What's wrong with me?

I know. I feel blessed to have such a loving family sitting around the table enjoying each other company with the food I prepared for them. (Maybe it's an ego trip.) I never really enjoy the meal, just the company.

I should quit whining and enjoy the holiday for remembering our blessings, and I have many.

Take this day of the year and be thankful. I am.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

You are very welcome to come to the Kramer's house and make mashed potatoes if you are feeling too glum tomorrow morning. I'll call you at 6:00. Love, your daugher.