Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fly like an eagle.


The golden eagle is another one of Animal Tails endangered species organic t-shirts. Here's what the hang tag says that accompany each tee:
"I am call a Golden Eagle because I have a striking golden crown and nape. I'm sacred in some cultures and my feathers are central to many religious and spiritual customs, expecially amongst Native Americans. Mexico even made me their national bird.
There are only 420 pairs of us in Great Britain. We like mountains so live in the Scottish Highlands. A pair of Golden Eagles remains together for life. Our nests are eyries and we build a few in our territory, which can be up to 160 sq miles. I need this space for hunting. I have very good eye sight and can spot prey from a long distance. I swoop down and kill my dinner with my talons. I can kill a fox outright. My population is getting smaller because I sometimes eat livestock, so people poison and shoot me, but I'm only being a hungry Golden Eagle."

In America the main diet are rodents, rabbits, birds and reptiles. But in the 1950's ranchers perceived the eagle as a threat to their livestock. An estimated 50,000 eagles were destroyed by them. Thank heaven the Golden Eagle has been protected since 1963. The bald eagle has returned to enough numbers to remove them from the endangered list, although they are still protected. Hopefully, the Golden will have the same successful route.


It's no wonder there are many, many legends and lore about the eagle. There is something magical about all birds of prey.

The Golden Eagle is our current "Special" at http://www.rubij.com/.

No comments: