Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

I love Thanksgiving day. Even though our small family is together a lot; this day is still special. I enjoy having the meal at my house; planning the menu, hoping the new recipes turn out right, praying everything will done at the same time; I want to serve a special meal to the most important people in my life.

Sounds dumb - right? Who cares - just another meal; like the many we share throughout the year? Why is this one so different?

This is my time reflect.

When I became a mother, the world changed.
When I became a grandmother, I changed.

The moment I became a parent, I viewed the world differently. Everything revolved around "what would be the effect" on my child. A person is sometimes overwhelmed by the responsibility of raising another human being. You want to do everything right (whatever that is). I wanted to give her the world, but at the same time, to teach her morals, the benefits of hard work, kindness, empathy; the list goes on and on.

Well, I lucked out. Stef grew up to be a wonderful person, in spite of me. Then, she and our son-in-law, Doug, gave us our first grandchild, Alexandria Grace.

I was in a position to babysit our grandchild full time. Stef was grateful, knowing the care I would give. But, she had also heard horror stories from her friends on "Grandma" taking over the raising of their children. She shared her concerns with me once in a tactful way; hoping I would never take Alex to get her "first" haircut, etc. I said "Stef, I already have a daughter". She knew what I meant. (See, I told you I lucked out.)

So, why is the love for grandchildren different?

For one, we didn't know until they appeared, there is another place in the heart for them. Also, we grandparents are in a more secured place in life. But I think the reason is the responsibility. We can just enjoy them. We can spoil; we can indulge; we can play.

Life is good. Give thanks.

No comments: