Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sandy's List: Vinegar

Who doesn't love vinegar? The best household item in the world. It's been in my laundry room forever. I've always add it to my rinse cycle to remove the last of the detergent.

Daughter Stef told me she add started using vinegar in the wash cycle. Well, I quickly told her how wrong that was. "It's suppose to go in the rinse cycle." Of course, she agreed with me. After all, I am her all knowing mother. I have since learned it can also be added to the wash cycle to help with the cleaning, deodorizing and static cling. I keep forgetting to tell her of my mistake. I know how she idolizes me.

Sorry, Stef.

I stop using fabric softeners and sheets years ago. I had read they sometimes were skin irritants. And, it did help with my rashes I sometimes suffer through. But now I know there are greater reasons to not use them. The chemicals.

Softeners and sheets are meant to cover your laundry to make them softer to the touch. Here's a list of the chemicals that are rubbing against your body:
  • Alpha-Terpineol
  • Benzyl Acetate
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Camphor
  • Chloroform
  • Ethyl Acetate
  • Limonene
  • Linalool
  • Pentane
"Google" these chemicals and find out for yourself what you and your children are absorbing.

My clothes are soft and don't have static cling. (Another tip: don't over dry.)

This is just one little step to remove chemicals from our bodies. Painless and a lot cheaper.