Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yet another nutritional study.

I don't remember which early morning news show I had on the other day, but it explaining about a new study on fruits and vegetables. The study concluded no difference of nutritional value between organic and conventional fruits and vegetables.

Gee. How interesting. I wonder how much that study cost and who made this discovery. The problem is I personally don't care. That's not the reason I buy organic whenever I have the choice.

In our chemically heavy modern world, I'm trying to reduce the pesticides my family consumes. You would think living in the rural midwest, buying organic food is easy. Not really. Very few are offered at our local stores, and the closest outlets are at least 45 miles away.

So, what to do. In the summer, we do have our farmers' market where I can talk to the growers. That's a plus. But there are lots of fruits and veggies not grown in the midwest. I loved celery for snacking and cooking. It's usually on the top ten lists of most pesticide laden, but I still buy it.

What I do is educate myself so I can mixed my produce with the good and bad. Baby steps, I know, but still trying. You can become more knowledgeable yourself by using the web. Just Google "Pesticides in food". In less than a half of second you will get 8,700,000 hits on this subject.

You now have your assignment, students. Happy reading and pass the onions (they're always number 1 on the best list).

1 comment:

Stef Kramer said...

I've finally talked my hubby into tilling some ground for a garden! Maybe my mother will teach me how to freeze or can fresh vegetables.