Friday, September 25, 2009

What's in a name?


In the early 90’s, my husband and I traveled to Israel, where I met a lovely lady name Lira. We were exchanging information about our family when she asked “and what does your daughter’s name mean?” I told I really didn’t know, I had never really thought about it. She was aghast. In her culture, great care is given to name a new baby. The name’s meaning is most important as it will become part of who this person will become.
Huh, I just thought “Stefanie” was cute.
Since then, however, I have been interested in the meanings of names. One of ideas for screen printing at Rubi J’s has been suggesting instead of just the name printed on an onesie or t-shirt; also put the origin and the meaning. That’s now our most popular screen printing we do for baby gifts.
I’ve had more common names like:
MICHAEL
Origin: Hebrew
“Who is like God”

Or an unusual name like:
SHAYNAH
Origin: Yiddish
“Beautiful”

I’ve had one grandmother order 8 t-shirts in different colors with the same name/meaning on it for her first grandchild. (We grandparents are like that.)

I do my research and then have it preapproved before making the print. There has only been one time it wasn’t accepted. My friend wanted this done for her little grandnephew’s first birthday. The only meaning I could find for Brock was “Badger”. The aunt didn’t want the mother to think she thought little Brock looked like a badger; and since the parents didn’t attend the University of Wisconsin, we drop the name/meaning thing and went with the look of a football jersey.

One of the prettiest ones I did was:
MARISA
Origin: Latin
“Of the sea”
Doesn’t the name Marisa flow like water? Perfect.

By the way, the name Stefanie means “crowned one”. Very appropriate.

No comments: