Friday, September 18, 2009

Toy Shopping


Remember the holiday shopping season last year? I remember it as the "year of the toy recalls". Didn't it seem like every day the news had a new recall to report? Becoming more aware of our littliest citizens' health and future, I think toys should be high of the list of safety.

I first went to the government's sites regarding toy safety. I was sure to find all the answers. A few hours later, the only thing I knew for sure was my neck hurt. Don't get me wrong; there are tons of useful information, like looking up a toy to see if it's been recalled. You might think all recalled toys are off the shelves. That's not always true. Do your homework.

But I'm looking for toys to recommend. So, I researched manufacturers and companies. Here are my top five:
  • HABA building blocks. HABA is a German company that been around since 1938. Their building blocks, and they have many different kinds, will last many generations. Many stores sell them and also online.

  • Kathe Kruse is another German company. It's been around about 100 years. I especially like the "old world" look of the dolls.

  • Rabbit Kinney eco-plush stuffed animals. This is a California company. The stuffed animals come from Indonesia. They're made from 100% soy bean fiber and the stuffing in 100% kapok. Very eco-friendly, very reasonably priced and very, very adorable. That's one from their line above.
  • Clementine Art Kits. All eco-friendly and non-toxic art supplies for the young ones from this Colorado company.

  • The 5th and final: Books. Need I say more?

No comments: