Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why read????

As I stated before, Rubi J will offer a line of onesies that will contribute to one of our greatest passions -- reading. Our "Read Collection" will encourage reading in many ways, including donating to a wonderful charity called First Book (http://www.firstbook.org) which gives books to disadvantaged children. I personally know how important books can be to a young life. Through books, I found that I was not so different because of my social status; there were other young girls who felt like me, who had the same dreams as me--I wasn't alone.


Some of my non-reading friends (who I love) have told me "I'll just wait until the movie comes out." That's well and good - if you want to limit yourself. I have no objections to movies; I love them. Truly some movies provide interesting perspectives to storylines (i.e., The Devil Wears Prada). And there are times when I can't wait for a book to be made into a movie. (I'm counting down the days until The Secret Life of Bees open.) Then there are the books too meaningful for me to diffuse with any other medium. For example, I never want anything to disrupt my connection with The Kite Runner.

The difference between "reading" and "watching" is the imagination. When watching a story, all the characters are there for your viewing. Much is interpreted for you. However, reading a story forces your brain to create images of the characters. You travel from "watching" the story to "feeling" the story.


Reading is the most accessible way for children to stretch their imagination and provide a stepping stone for hope. All children deserve this privilege. Rubi J is proud to take part in this important cause.


For more information on how you can help this cause, go to http://www.firstbook.org

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that it is very important for children to read. I love to read! A lot of my friends don't so I try to encourage my friends to. Through reading you can feel others emotions and a lot of times you are feeling the emotion too.