Sunday, May 23, 2010

STOP, THINK, REGENERATE!




First, a little background on my heritage. I'm third and fourth generation Danish American. I was raised to believe a person's worth was how hard they worked.

Second, I always take on more than I need (apparently to show my worth).

Third, I finally had a free weekend to catch up on all my work projects. I was really excited about this.

But then, Saturday morning came and there was no energy; I couldn't do, and didn't care, any more. It was gone. What was wrong with me?

You know what? Nothing. I needed a vacation; to be me.

Saturday was spent shopping for flowers, plants and vases. I couldn't stop myself. I want that, that and oh, that. I wanted to surround myself with the beauty of nature. Don't you just love the new  plant I found at Dianne's?


I can't remember the name, but it pleases me.

Sunday was the perfect vacation day. First, visiting with our neighbors to the south. They're our age and the husband just found out he has Parkinson's Disease. We were a little teary eyed, but mostly we laughed. It was a "bring it on" attitude and we're all in this together. It also reaffirmed our love for each other.

Then I spent the day doing what I really love; working in my flower gardens. The temperatures in the high 80's and I was sweating buckets - loving every minute of it.

No, I didn't get done any work on my ever long list. Yes, I regenerated. This I learned this weekend; feed yourself once in a while. It stops the mind from spinning around and around.

We've all heard the quote "Stop and smell the roses". There's a purpose to that saying. We need to slow down once in a while to appreciate and  put our world in the proper order.

I can't tell you how relaxed I feel and excited about the week ahead. I'm so glad I took this "me" vacation.

Enjoy some of my flowers.



No comments: